Cats/Mature size

I have an almost 5 month old male mix breed kitten. He was neutered at 4 months. He weighs about 6 pounds now. I was wondering if you could tell me when he should stop growing and what the average weight is for a male cat, assuming he's fed a balanced species appropriate diet.

Depending on the body type, it could take anywhere from 18 months to 5 years to become fully mature.  The slinkier body types (like Siamese or Abyssinians take about 18 months, the more robust body types like American Shorthairs or Maine Coons can take anywhere form 3 to five years. So, it is difficult to be precise. One guide is often the size of his feet.  Cats often grow into their feet, but this is usually a very rough estimate.

Male cats can be anywhere from 8 pounds to 25 pounds depending on the body structure.

So, I really cannot give you a precise answer.

I am sorry I could not be of more help.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.