Cats/cat food

Hi Norman, do you know if I can get either Neo or Iams  (for cats with early stages of renal failure) canned food, without having to buy it in bulk,,so I can see if she will eat it; she hates the K/d dry that the vet recommended but will I  eat a canned food, but it needs to be low protein/phosphorous like Neo or Iams (for renal care)....I can't find it anywhere by the can ie:Petsmart,,,Petco...Pet Supermarket..etc. ..thanks you!..Nick

Have you tried the Internet?

Often prescription diets are not available except through your vet.  Surely, they will let you try none can to see if your cat will eat it!

Also, as a tip, I would give your cat distilled water to drink. I am not a vet, but the neutral Ph may be almost as beneficial as the low protein diet.

I did the following Google search:  renal failure diet cats

and found lots of stuff.

Also, a google search:  hi tor neo cat food

had lots of good results

Finally, a google search:  iams cat food kidney canned

also yielded plenty of results.

It is not uncommon for people to buy food via the Internet.  

It appears the canned foods you want are readily available and you might double check with the retail outlets to see if they will special order it.

Best regards... Norm

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.