Cats/Cat Pads

My name is Rhonda and I have a 7 month old kitten that I just got declawed a week ago. I have noticed that he has what looks like a nail comin out of one of his pads on his left front paw ..... I took him to the vet because he was limping and babying his left paw. He said it looked like dry skin and it is not what is causing him pain ... just that he is still tender from the sugery and if it continues to be tender in a week to go back.

But my question is why or how did my cat develope this claw like dry skin after getting de-clawed? Is it commom? I have an older cat who is 7 and when i got him de-clawed, I never experienced anything like this.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question, and I look forward to hearing back from you as soon as you get the chance.

ANSWER: Rhonda,

I do not know the answers to your questions, but I now have a source I can use to find the answers for you.

Just give me a bit more time.

Best regards... Norm.

QUESTION: Thank you for looking into this for me. I really appreciate it.

Here are some answers I received from a site specific for cat health:

"My son (to my shame) and his wife declawed a very sweet loving kitten I gave them (Scottish Fold).  I wanted to cry when I the saw the kitten months after this happened.  There was a partial claw growing out of the side of one paw and another out of a pad on another foot.  The kitten ‘s personality changed—so would yours if you were walking on your toenail.  Anyway, I took the kitty back, took her to a great vet in Arlington , TX and he “repaired” the botched job.  The personality came back to some degree also.  What I am saying is what you said Norm, DON’T DECLAW A KITTEN/CAT!  If the furniture is that precious to you, get a dog.  AND, that is what I tell pet buyers.

"To answer the question—the declawing was done by either an inept vet or he/she did not remove the entire nail bed."

"Initial thoughts, noting that I don't believe in declawing except for the
health of the cat (IE: my poly boy had his poly claw and his dewclaw
removed b/c they were very close together and the poly nail was growing
out thru the pad)

"The declaw on the one paw wasn't done correctly, either because the vet did
not get all of the bone removed that the nail grows from and the partial
nail is growing thru the skin or because the vet did not correctly close
the skin after the declaw and the bone is at the surface.

"My second thought would be that the cat is putting more pressure on the
pad, giving it a kind of callus, but what you sent implies that he's not
putting pressure on the pad.

"I'd take the cat to another vet clinic to have the paw examained and/or
XRay'd to see what's going on in there.

"Domino's poly nail that was growing thru the pad showed mostly as
(what I called) horny growth, where it's kind of hard-ish callousy
type tissue, but wasn't solid enoigh to be a claw, but hurt him the
dickens when we tried to trim/clip it. And it was easier for it to
bleed than regular nails, as if the nail tissue never actually turned
into nail, if that makes sense?"

"I had a female once that had what appeared to be an extra nail growing out of all four of her pads. They were small and not fully formed and were slightly flexible. But I have to tell you they were very bizarre to look at! They didn't hurt her at all and she didn't mind me playing with them.

"My girlfriend also has a cat with this on two pads. I assume this is some sort of genetic mutation such a human born with an extra thumb. Perhaps this lady just now noticed it because it is small and she is observing the pads more due to the declawing. Personally, I do not thing it is related to the declawing in the least."

"...a bad declawing - had one like that, I think the bone was actually hanging out...other toes had substances that looked like claw material extending out."

It seems that one common thread through the above is to get a second opinion.

I hope all of this is helpful.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.