Cats/on counters & peeing

Question
Hello Norman,

Thank you for being a volunteer to help others with their cat problems.  I have 10 cats (4 females & 6 males), all have been fixed, between the ages of 3 and 6.  They all have free range of the house and they also have a catatio.  My problem is some of them like to get on the kitchen counters and I have caught a couple of them peeing on it.  What can I do to stop this?  I will appreciate any suggestions.

Answer
Edy,

It is difficult to keep them off the kitchen counters.  However, the are where they pee'ed needs to be thoroughly cleaned with an enzyme based cleaning product.

You may be able to deter them somewhat by using double sided sticky tape on the counters (cats hate to step on sticky stuff#, although I am not sure how wide a swatch of tape you will need to use.  Also, cats usually hate to pee on aluminum foil, so you might try fastening some aluminum foil on the counters after you have cleaned up the past pee.

What is the state of their litter boxes? Are there enough #at least one for every 2 cats)? Is anyone keeping some of the cats out of their "favorite" litter box?  

Have you recently changed the brand or type of litter?

Have you tried using Cat Attract or Cat Attract litter additive?

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz