Cats/male calico cat (not steryle)

I have a female box turtle color cat who has gotten pregnant 2 times by a male calico cat. The male cat is the only other cat around, and my daughters cat is with him all the time. So inregaurds to most experts saying that the male calico's are steryl, i guess he is an exception to that myth.
So a male breeding calico cat, is he worth anything? He has seen a vet and the vet was blown away at the excellent health he is in. So if you know any breeders looking for a male calico cat could you send me an email? Thank you

In short, fertile calico males are not worth anything, per se. They are a curiosity, but little else. I would be concerned that whatever genetic anomaly is letting your boy be fertile may cause other problems with the kittens as they develop.

There are many possible genetic explanations as to what may be going on, but these are out of the ordinary (mosaic or chimera, to name a couple). When the kittens are born, it would be interesting to see whether he is breeding as a black cat or a red cat or both????? If I knew the coat color of the queen, I could probably figure out what he is breeding as. Usually, in these situations, I would expect he would breed as a black cat or a red cat, but not both.

Please let me know what you think.

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.