Cats/mother cats milk ducts

Question
Can a mother cat feed from all nipples? she has smaller nipples that the smaller kittens are eating from & I want to be sure they are all getting enough milk to grow & keep healthy. Thank you.

Answer
Kim,

Yes, kittens can feed from the smaller nipples to the front. One way to check kitten health is to weigh the kittens once a day every day. We like a digital postal scale. After 1 week, the kittens should be about double their birth weight.  For every week thereafter until weaning, each should gain 2 to 4 ounces (50 to 100 grams).

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz