Cats/Pet Cat !

Hello !
Hoping all is well.
I recently adopted a very friendly cat from the local ASPCA.
The only problem I have with him is that he often jumps on top of several tables.
Is there a humane way in which I can get him to behave ?
Thanks !

Cats will be cats.  Also, cats tend not to respond well to negative reinforcement techniques like yelling, hitting, squirt bottles and the like.

What you might try is to put some two sided sticky tape on the edges of the counter.  Cats, generally, do not like the feel of stickum on their paw pads, so this may end up being a deterrent for the cat jumping up.  You may have to play with this stuff a little while to see how wide the sticky border may have to be to keep him from jumping up, if it works at all.

Cats can be incredibly resourceful in overcoming such "obstacles', so it may work for a little while or not at all.

The next question is what does the cat want up there?  So, you might want to cat proof the counters #i.e., remove anything of interest# to see if you can make them totally uninteresting. Also, you might want to provide the cat with an exercise post with shelves, so he can sit on high and watch from a more comfortable perspective. Cats prefer to be higher up and off the floor if possible.

Please let me know how things go.

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.