Cats/Socializing a foster cat

I recently brought home a foster tuxedo cat (approximately 8mos to a year old). When I first brought him home I confined him to his own room, with own litter box, food, water, blankets, etc. He initially would hiss and hide. After 3 days he FINALLY started to eat and drink and use the litter box. After about 2 weeks he finally started letting me pet him. Since then he has loved all the attention I give him, as long as I'm not standing. He seems to become scared and reverts to hissing as soon as I stand. I have tried to bring in, individually, my 2 tiger stripped cats (one is about 8 months, the other is about 6 years) and my chihuahua. None of them seem to get along. So, last night I had to break down and let my foster kitty roam the house because every time I closed the door he would meow for hours, keeping me awake and causing the cats to hiss at his door. He still is pretty scared when I'm standing, but the cats just aren't getting along. There have been no physical fights and no other attempts of dominance besides hissing and growling (my kitten loves to growl like my dog). Are there any tricks to try and get them to all get a long?? I want my foster kitty to have the best chance of getting adopted and become used to other people and cats.

It can often take a long time for cats to accept a new cat into the "fold".  Cats go through a very involved "getting to know you" ritual. However, it usually subsides as they figure out how to inter-relate to each other.  For the most part, you have done everything correctly.

I would also bet that the foster was abused which might explain the fear of you when standing.

I find it can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to many months for everything to settle down.  On rare occasions, there are cats who just do not like each other and never really settle. What you need to be prepared for is however they work it out, you will have to accept the results. I have found that any human intervention is counter productive.

Another tip is that cats do best if they think doing something is there idea. So, you may need to be creative about getting the foster to do things.  One thing you might try is to make sure each cat has a path way around whatever room they like to be in what is fairly high up. E.g., they can use shelves or the the tops of things to walk around the room and not have to be on the floor all the time. This higher up perspective is often more comforting to a cat than being on the floor all the time.

So, in a nutshell, give it more time and keep out of it. Let them figure it out on their own.

Another resource you may want to look into is Jackson Galaxy's web site:

Please let me know what develops.

Best regards.... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.