Cats/Tom cats stopping female cat coming home

I have a young cat who I think has come into heat and attracting the Tom cats,  I was hoping to let her have a  litter and then get her spayed afterwards.  However she has just been stuck outdoors for 24 hours as she was trapped by two male cats.  They did not appear to harm her although she did cry at times.  I am now not sure whether to let her outdoors again or not as I am worried that the male cats could force her to stay out for too long without food.  Is this normal behaviour, I assumed the cats would mate and then the male cats would leave her alone but this does not seem to be the case.  She is also desperate to go back outdoors so I presume the ordeal was not too bad for her.  My first cat which is her mother didn't seem to have this problem at all. Any advice would be great. Thanks

It sounds like you have some pretty persistant toms around. If this was my kitty she would not be going out again - I seriously doubt if the boys will let her be and the concern that I have is that they may keep her away from home too long or they may even chase her into a roadway where she'd stand a risk of being hit by a car.

To be honest, in my view I wouldn't hesitate to have this little girl spayed as soon as possible because once the hormones are gone, the toms will be too. I'm sure that you're aware that pregnancy does come with risks in cats just as it does in humans - between the potential risks (some kitties do end up having to have caesarian sections to deliver their babies if things go badly during the natural process of labor and delivery) and the fact that there are most likely many unwanted cats and kittens in rescue centers in your area I would urge you to reconsider allowing your queen to reproduce. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.