Cats/cat fluid in lungs

I just got back from the vet, they took an x-ray of my cat because she was having trouble breathing, hasn't been eating, and has a lump on her head.  She lost 2 lbs and has fluid all in her right lung so he said it has pretty much collapsed.  They called later to tell me the fluid has cancerous cells and white blood cells in it.  They said I can pick up steroids, antibiotics and lasix for her in the morning. She is about 8 1/2 years old and has been healthy all this time until now.  She looks like she is really struggling to breath and is in pain. I'm going to ask them when I go in if this will cure her or just prolong life and make her more comfortable.  I'm wondering how much this will cost and if it will cure her and or just prolong her life?  Any advice?

You know your cat best, if she seems like she's in pain and struggling to breathe then trust your instincts. You can take her back to the vet to discuss what is best for her, but ultimately I suspect you will only be prolonging her life rather than curing her underlying issue if there are cancerous cells and white blood cells in the fluid that was tapped from her lung. My advice during this difficult time would be to take a look at her QUALITY of life - is she able to comfortably eat, drink, breathe, play, change positions, etc? If not then it may be time to talk to your vet about doing something to improve her quality of life and if that's not a possibility then the kindest option may be to have the vet put her to sleep. I know that most definitely isn't what you want to hear, and I know just how your heart must be breaking. Please know that you are in my thoughts and if you want to discuss this further or you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time... I am more than happy to offer any help or support that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.