Cats/cat keeps pestering my wife

My cat seems to enjoy pestering my wife. Every time my wife sits in the living room my cat likes to come over and nibble or claw at her. Usually she doesn't do this very hard so it doesn't seem like a aggressive action but she is starting to bite harder my wife says and obviously it bothers my wife. We play with my cat usually 3 to 4 times a night for about 10 to 15 minutes generally. We got Our Cat about a year ago at a animal shelter and she was about a year old then so she is probably about 2 years old now. We don't know what breed she is though she does have many characteristics of a Maine coone but we are not sure. she just recently started to do this so it hasn't been happening very often. if you can help i would greatly appreciate it.

My suggestion would be to have your wife play with your kitty until the kitty is absolutely tired (laying on her side panting lightly is what you're aiming for). Try interactive toys like Neko Flies or Da Bird because these toys look and act like prey so they will hold your kitty's interest for longer periods of time. If you consistently play with your kitty to the point of her being tired all in one session and then give her a meal or a treat she will play, eat then bath herself and go to sleep - the kitty mantra of sorts. If the behaviour persists even after a few days of this I would suggest having your kitty checked by the vet just to be sure that there's no medical cause for her to be playing with your wife this way... Failing any medical cause being found in the kitty a check up for your wife might be an idea because there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that sometimes our pets are sensitive to changes in our bodies and pick up on things earlier than we might... Ultimately it sounds like your kitty is just aiming to get your attention and going about it the wrong way so some concentrated attention in the form of a good long play session that lasts til she's tired should settle things down if you're consistent about it. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I am more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.