Cats/my cat suddenly hates one of the people in the hous and is skittish

Our cat has always been calm, sweet, and loving. He`s always been a bit aloof though. I left on a vacation for a month and a half and i took my yorkie with me. Im told he cried all night every night and was more affectionate than usual. When i came back i came back withouy my dog. He would follow me up amd down the house and cry if i left his side. Hes been affectionate needy and as vocal as usual but now two weeks since ive been homehe suddly started acting strange.
It first happened when my brothers girlfriend came home from dialysis a few 4 days ago. He hissed at her when she got home and an hour later he hissed and prepared himself to attack. I said no and he ran amd hide inside of the bed. Ever sense then he hides any time shes in the room. He bit my cheek harder than his normal nibbles while we were cuddling. He stalks us and runs for the hills whenever my brothers girlfriend appears. Hes only affectionate towards me. He trusts my mother and seems to tolorate my brother. Up until 4 days ago hes always loved all of us pretty much the same.

I expect after about 6 week's absence and the "loss" of the yorkie, he is suffering some separation anxiety. 4 days is not a long time and, usually within a couple of weeks, things do return to normal.

Also, I expect your brother's girlfriend smells differently after dialysis than normally which could have him a bit confused.

At this point you should just ignore the behavior as much as you can and not make a big deal out of it. See if he adjusts within a couple of weeks.

Please let me know how things go.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.