Cats/dones my cat sweet pea look pregnant?

sweet pea
sweet pea  

sweet pea nipples
sweet pea nipples  
Hi we moved here back in aug of last yr and a female stray cat adopted us and we decided to keep her . In feb we took her to the vet to be.check out and given all her shots but i beleve she got pregnant in january so.we asked to fill and check he said he was unsure but her.nipples are.real pink and poking and she naw looks pregnant. I have a few pics of her nipples and her.

Usually, 21 days after breeding, the nipples turn bright pink and protrude as in your photo. However, shortly after that, they go back to normal until the later stages of pregnancy when they start to get milk in. Also, when cats come into season, their nipples may go pinker, as well!

Cat gestation is 63-68 days from the second day of breeding, so you can count on about 9 to 9.5 weeks after being bred to look for kittens.  If you want to know about the latter stages of pregnancy, please send me a follow up. Depending about when in January you think she was bred, is when in March or April she may be having her kittens, if pregnant.

BTW, cats rarely abort or miscarry, they tend to reabsorb the kittens as if nothing happened!

Please keep me posted.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.