Cats/New cats and kittens introductions to eachother

Dear Ali,
We have always had several cats in the home, all inside cats.  Three died within the last 1 1/2 years and the young companion to our eldest female passed on in December 2012.  Now we have one male, about 10 years old and the female, about 19.  We adopted a new cat in hopes of it being a companion for the elderly female. This new cat is about 1 1/2 years and very gentle. For the moment, it is staying by its choice in a downstairs room near the room with litter boxes for all cats.  Ahh..the male is refusing to go downstairs to the litter and has used potted plants!  I gave him a temporary box upstairs but he has not used it. He has only seen the new kitty and hisses. I believe once they are acclimated litter will be no problem. But for now, it is a huge problem!

What do we do to get these cats together and how to get the male back to using the normal litter box downstairs?  He seems afraid to venture down there because of the new kitty.  Believe me, he has nothing to fear but he does not know that.  Help!

BTW, I am an expert in Jewelry, Gems and Minerals on this site.

God Bless and Joy. I hope you can make suggestions.  Thomas.

Typically I suggest isolating a new cat in a small room such as a bathroom for a minimum period of two to three weeks. This gives your resident cats time to get comfortable with the new cat's scent. I suspect that what may be happening with your male kitty opting to use potted plants is that he is upset by the new kitty using the litterboxes. You may need to consider changing the type of litter that you use in order to change the association for your older male... I suspect that moving the new kitty into his own room for a couple of weeks and letting your resident cats get back into their regular routines will help the situation greatly. Once everything has calmed down and the male kitty is back to using his box again you can begin SLOWLY introducing the cats to the new cat's scent by switching bedding between them... This allows the cats to get to know each other in a completely non-confrontational way. Once this is going well you can begin trying treat or meal sessions with the new cat out of his room, but within view of your resident cats... This is going to be a very gradual process, just given the ages of the resident cats involved... Baby steps would be the best way to describe the type of introduction I'm suggesting. If at any point the resident cats begin having issues simply go back to the last step they were comfortable with for a few days to a week then try a half step forward. Patience is key here. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.