Cats/10 week old ragdoll - single accident out of litter box

Hello -

we just brought a 10 week old ragdoll into our family.  she has been with us for just over a week.  she has responded well to the family.  she is very loving and loves to be in the same room as her family and even responds to her name.  she was litter box trained from the breeder and had no issues adjusting to the litter box when she arrived to her new home.  this morning my boyfriend and i were in bed (one floor up from her litter box) and she had an accident on the end of the bed.  is it normal to have an accident out of her litter box?  how do i prevent this from becoming a routine?  her litter box is clean and i added a little fresh litter to it this morning.  

Thanks for your advice!

At 10 weeks old your ragdoll baby is still quite young... She may have simply not been able to hold her bladder to get to her box - I would suggest adding a kitten sized box in your bedroom to prevent such mishaps - if you find that she has accidents in other places just add litter boxes... As she grows and matures you'll find that she doesn't use every box, so you can begin to weed out the boxes that she doesn't use. If she is the only cat it's probably a good idea to have at least one box per level of your home, but a minimum of two in total to prevent accidents. Based on my own experience with my ragdoll I can honestly say that they are slow to mature, so just be patient with her, she will get the litterbox sorted out soon enough. I would also suggest washing anything that she does have an accident with as soon as possible and if at all possible add an enzymatic cleaner to the wash as this will permanently remove the smell of urine or feces, even for a kitty's sensitive nose. If your kitten continues to have accidents on a consistent basis an exam by the vet might be a good plan to rule out any medical reason for her to pee outside of her box, such as a bladder infection, but for the moment I wouldn't panic - she's a very young kitten and this is her first accident. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.