Cats/Kitten agression at people

We have a 6 month old young female kitten that we've had since she was three weeks old (found alone by the side of the road). She's been very sweet, and is very attached to people... she gets anxious and follows you from room to room until you stay put, and then she'll settle down.

In the last few weeks, she's started lashing out abruptly. We'll pick her up and pet her, and she's fine with it, until she suddenly turns and smacks you in the face with claws, and -then- she starts growling and hissing. If you put her down, she goes after one of our other cats and beats on them, and then settles down a little.

We've had a -lot- of cats over my lifetime, but I've never seen any act like this. She's due to be spayed at the end of the week... could it be hormonal, or it something else? We don't ever smack her, we just put her down and ignore her for a bit, putting her down when she jumps up in our laps or tries to get our attention. I'm at a loss as to how to help her calm down!

You did not indicate that she was spayed, so my guess is that she may be coming into season. If this is the case, you may want to have her spayed as quickly as possible.

The other possibility is that she has developed a medical problem and is in some discomfort.  You can have her checked out when you take her to get spayed, especially her thyroid levels.

Please let me know what develops.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.