Cats/Cat eating string

I have a small cat, she is a small cat but about 7 yrs old.  She has allergy issues, where she eats her fur off her behind and digs, but she gets shots from the vet to counteract the allergies.  She started doing that about 4 yrs ago.  My problem is that she eats string, such as fishing line, thread, and just recently got on my craft table and ran off with some fine wire.  Luckily I got it away from her.  We keep all of these things packed away, so I was just wondering why cats do this!!!

Well it could be that your cat also suffers from a rather strange condition known as Pica. This is when an animal eats non food items. Although not that common it is something that some cat owners have to keep an eye on. The bad news is that there is no cure.the good news is that there is no danger from the illness apart from the fact if they do manage to eat non food items. The only thing you can do is to try and prevent your cat from eating these types of things.

I do have some more information on this condition here

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.