Cats/Labor complications?

I have a female cat who is just under a year old who had 2 kittens last week.  She failed to take any care of them and they ended up not surviving. Since then she has become very sick and unlike herself.  She has lost weight, doesn't eat, has had diarrhea, and become very weak.  We have no idea what has happened and or why this is happening. Our only thought is that she has retained a kitten. We don't have any money to take her to the vet and I am so worried about losing her! Can you please help???

I am not a veterinarian and therefore I can't provide you with a diagnosis for your kitty, but I would suspect that she has an infection or illness that is quite likely to be related to the pregnancy.

Based on the fact that this young momma has lost her babies and seems in rough shape herself the only real option is to get her some medical help before she becomes sick enough to potentially lose her life. Whether you opt to go through an organization such as Care Credit as a means of obtaining the funds you might need to treat your kitty medically or you find a vet that will accept payments over time this kitty needs to see a vet as soon as possible.

It's clear to me that you love your kitty and don't want her to lose her life, sadly if you are not able to provide her with the medical care that she needs an option that you may have to consider is surrendering her to a veterinarian or rescue organization willing to treat her and place her for adoption in a new loving home.

I really wish that I had better options to offer, but this is truly a serious medical issue that sounds as though it's building in urgency by the hour. This kitty is potentially quite sick and needs immediate medical help. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I am more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.