Cats/Neutered male, spayed female

Question
I have a male exotic shorthair that is either 3 or 4 (can't remember off the top of my head) and he's been neutered since he was a little kitten. A couple months ago my mom decided to adopt a 2yr old spayed female. Due to my male s extremely laid back personality we didn't worry too much about fighting but set her up in the spare room all the same. The two seemingly get along fine but I just noticed he was mounting her and biting the back of her neck. He's not aggressively biting her and it seems to only mildly irritate her. I know she had a litter of kittens before being spayed but she's been spayed for at least 6mos and him longer.
Where is this behavior coming from? Should I be stopping it or what?

Answer
Megan,

I have a ragdoll who does the same thing... Our vet feels that it's dominance humping like you would more typically see in dogs. If it doesn't bother your female cat just let her deal with it, if your female seems stressed or perturbed then feel free to tell your male to get off of your female. Our ragdoll knows the word "OFF!" well because his mounting and humping irritates our other cats significantly. My understanding is that you could also choose to medicate the male using an anti-depressant, but I don't advocate using psychotropic drugs on cats unless it's absolutely necessary.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

Ali

Cats

Ali