Cats/sick newborn kitten??

my moms cat had two kittens sometime late last night early this morning. One is EXTREMELY small (over half the size of the other) as far as we have seen mom won't lay down long enough for kittens to nurse unsure if this is d/t her age (1.5 yrs# or inexperience #this is her 1st litter). I was just informed by my mom that it appears to her that on 2 occasions the smaller kitten has passed but when she picks it up it starts breathing again and acts as if it is choking/gagging. we are unsure if this means that the kitten is going to pass or if maybe the kitten aspirated amniotic fluid. as a nurse I know what signs/symptoms to look for in humans but unsure of how to help this poor kitten. any advice you have would be very helpful. I know my mom is planning on getting KRM tomorrow morning. but not sure what to tell her to do to help till then.

Mama will settle down, but as important as nursing is, it is more important that they stay warm. Kittens cannot regulate their body temperatures until they are a couple of weeks old, and, so, must rely on mama's body heat. I would not use a heating pad, but make sure they are in a box (with the original bedding mama used for birth) which should keep the kittens out of any drafts.

I would suggest getting everyone to the vet to make sure that the mama is finished and, also to check on the kitten. The vet can also tell you if mama has milk. I would make sure mama and the kittens are separated for transport, in case she gets jarred and rolls over on one of the kittens.

Please let me know what you find.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.