Cats/Cat Biscuits

Question
My 5yo Siamese Torti Point has never been able to eat CAT BISCUITS. When she does she brings them up. What do you recommend?

Answer
Mike,

Truthfully cat biscuits (commonly called kibble in North America) aren't really the best possible choice for your cat's nutrition. They are highly processed and sprayed with fat to make them palatable. Some cats just can't tolerate the extra processing and additives. A high quality canned cat food is a good choice, but it must be fed in small meals several times throughout the day (2-3 times is average). Since today's domestic cats originated from Egypt where there wasn't much fresh water they evolved to get the majority of the moisture that their bodies need to function and be healthy FROM their food. Unlike other mammals such as dogs and humans cats don't have the same drive to drink large quantities of water so cats that are fed an exclusively dry food diet are at higher risk of developing health issues related to a state of chronic dehydration. Not to mention that dry food is often left out in larger quantities so cats that tend to overeat will often become obese. For more information on some great nutritional choices for your cat please feel free to check out the website my veterinarian referred me to when I was asking questions about my own cats and their nutritional requirements: www.catinfo.org - this website was created by a veterinarian who wanted to help educate cat parents about the unique nutritional needs of their feline companions.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in an way that I can.

Kind regards,

Ali

Cats

Ali