Cats/Cat breed?

Question
Alfie at 8 weeks
Alfie at 8 weeks  

Alfie at 1 year
Alfie at 1 year  
I have a one year old cat. When we got him (at 8 weeks old) we just presumed he was a regular black cat, but as he got older, he completely outgrew my other black cat and he looks completely different. He's very long, but his limbs seem short for his length. He has very big paws though. Sometimes he looks black, but in some light he looks a chocolate brown colour. I'd really love to find out his breed, as I'm certain he's not the same breed as my other black cat. Thanks!!

Answer
J,

Alfie is a black domestic shorthair.  I do like his green eyes (from the photo?).  There are many variations on shades of black in the cat world, from jet blue-black to rusty shades of black.

Larger domestic cats are slower developing, often taking 3-5 years to reach full development.  There are many large breeds in domestic cats, so he could be some mixture of a few of them.  The native North American longhaired working cat is the Maine Coon, whereas, the native shorthair working cat is the American Shorthair. Both of these reach a good size with the Maine Coon being the larger.  However shorthair is dominant over longhair, so it is not clear how large Alfie may get.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz