Cats/my cat was spayed yesterday and is now leaking a nasty liquid from her anus

I got my 6 month old female cat spayed yesterday
She was fine until today when I came home to a terrible smell and found clearish brown thin liquid on the floor. I checked her and because she has long fur it was all over her bottom. Her stitches are perfectly ok but she keeps leaking this liquid... I am concerned

Hi Meranda,

I think you should get your kitty to an urgent care center. If she's leaking a fluid, it's possible she's leaking it from the vagina, and the foul-odored fluid is the result of an infection. When a foul fluid is leaking out, an infection is raging inside - one that can be deadly within hours. I don't think your kitty should wait until Monday to be seen since this is a strong possibility.

It could be possible the antibiotic injection they gave her caused some loose stools. Extremely rarely, nerve damage and incontinence has been associated with a spay surgery. I don't suspect the latter here. But if your kitty's belly is so upset that she's fecally incontinent, it would be best to get her prompt treatment before she becomes dehydrated.

Best wishes with her!

The areas in which I have gained the most experience are cat health and feral cat management/rescue. I provide supportive care to chronically ill cats, hospice care to terminally ill cats and also am involved in trap-neuter-return efforts. My specialities lie in taming feral cats and in the allopathic treatment of cats with illnesses or special needs. I also have owned Siamese, Himalayans, Abyssinians, Russian Blues, Savannahs, Bengals, Peterbalds, Don Sphynx and Oriental Shorthairs and am well-versed in cat breeds as well as cat behavior and nutrition.

I have 15 years of extensive experience with cats ranging from breeding to medical care. My daily routine consists of caring for cats with diabetes, thyroid disease, kidney failure, feline leukemia, feline AIDS as well as feral cats. I have experience with liver patients, heart patients, feline infectious peritonitis, cancer, recovery from amputation and trauma, congenital deformities and most every disease in between. I have assisted cats giving birth and hand-nursed kittens who were neglected by their mother from 2 days old through weaning.

15 years' hands-on experience. Current nursing student. I've studied the parallels of human and cat anatomy as well as zoonotic disease, so my studies are broadening the depth of my understanding of feline anatomy, physiology and pathology.