Cats/kitten

Question
my friend dropped off a kitten that was abondoned and I have been feeding it a kitten formula that I found at a pet store. it hasn't gone to the bathroom yet, and I got it last night and have been feeding her ever 3-4hours. what's going on?

Answer
Kay,

Is the kitten using a pet nurser or are you tube feeding?

You can give 4 feedings a day: 7:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 7:00 PM and midnight.

Do you have scale to weigh the kitten?  A digital postal scale is usually pretty reliable.

If you are tube feeding, the kitten should take about .3 oz (8-10 mL) of formula for every 4 oz (100 g) of body weight.  Divide this by 4 to get an idea of how much to feed each time. Before you feed each kitten, make sure you push enough formula through the tube so that there is no air in the tube when you begin feeding. If the mixture is too rich or the kitten is being overfed, they can get diarrhea.  

If the kittens are taking formula from a pet nurser they should take what you would tube feed on their own. If it does not seem to drink enough, wait a few minutes and try again.

Whether you are tube or pet nurser feeding, make sure the formula is warm on the back of your hand before giving it to the baby. In both cases watch out for over feeding.  This can cause diarrhea and, worse, if a baby regurgitates it can aspirate the formula leading to pneumonia!

Once each baby has been fed, you can potty it.  It should pee each feeding and poop once a day. To potty the kitten get a soft tissue or cloth and gently stimulate the genital area, it will potty.  You can burp each baby by holding it upright and gently tapping on its back.  With tube feeding, it should not get much air, so you may not hear any burp.

Newborns and very young kittens cannot regulate their body temperatures, so it is important the are in a warm. draft free place with warm bedding.  Be very, very careful of heating pads as I have known people to "roast" the kitten.

Please get back to me if you have more questions and let me know how the little tyke is doing.  Hand reared kittens are always a challenge and it does not always work out.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz