Cats/kittens

Question
We've has a feral stray cat have 5 kittens in the well around the downstairs window.  We are feeding the mom and today we see the kittens getting out of the well.  We took the kittens and put them in a large cage with a blanket and some milk.  they are sleeping and seem ok.  But mom came back and she's meowing.  I think she's looking for them.  What should I do?  I don't want the kittens to get hurt being on their own.  They won't stay in the well now.  That's why we removed them.  We are going to feed them some milk and kitten food. But what about mom?

Answer
Peggy,

Have you tried putting mama in with the kittens?  How old are they?  If they are 4 weeks old or older, they are ready to be weaned. I can provide weaning instructions, if you like.

If they are under 4 weeks of age, you can feed them kitten milk replacer from a pet nurser (both available from a pet supermarket). I can give you an idea on how much to feed and how often.

Please let me know.

Best regards... Norm.  

Cats

Norman Auspitz