I have an 18 year old female cat.  She is strictly an indoor cat and has been all of her life.  I feed her good wet cat food daily and she drinks an adequate amount of water.  She is in pretty good health for her age with some slowing down of activity, but otherwise no particular health problems.  

I brush my cat every day.  Her fur is not real long but it's not short either.  Kind of in between.  I could brush her for hours on end and still collect hair.  After brushing her I can pet her and still hair will shed.  Her coat is in good shape but I'm wondering if there is anything I can give her to help this. This happens year round.

At her age, she is considered geriatric, so it is no surprise she is shedding year round.

You can supplement her diet with Halo Dream Coat which is rich in various fish oils. If she has dandruff as well, this will certainly help. We but dream coat in a pump dispenser (like for soft hand soap) and give a squirt or two daily. Make sure the pump dispenser is brand new and has been sterilized before using.

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.