Cats/Snowshoe kitten

Snowshoe kitten
Snowshoe kitten  
I adopted a snowshoe 5 months ago from my vet. She is around 8 months old now.  She was found alone at approximately 3 months of age with an eye infection and ringworm on her paws.  My vet and then I nursed her to health. She seemed traumatized.  We don't know how long she was alone and how she ended up wandering the streets so sick.   She was very shy and timid with me in the beginning.  She formed a wonderful bond with my other kitten.  Slowly she became more friendly with me.  She sleeps with me every night, is very energetic and jumps in my lap for pets and naps when it suits her.  However, she does not like it when I pick her up (she gets scared and runs away) and she is very scared of other people.  When my parents come over she hides under the bed until they leave.  Is there hope of her getting over her fears?  She is very sweet, never hisses or bites.  Thanks for any pointers.

Congratulations on being an angel!!!!!!!!!!

Since we do not know her history before you and your vet rescued her, it is very possible she earned a wariness of strangers.

My approach to cats I do not know is to wait for them to come to me.  If people visit your home and you suggest they not approach the new cat, but to wait to see if she approaches them, the chances of her becoming more social are better. Cats do better when they think something is their idea, so let her make the first move.  If she does not, she does not!  However, given time she may just turn it around.  Cats can have long persistent memories and, if abused, it is a lesson they do not easily forgive or forget. So it may take weeks or months for her to develop more trust in strangers, if ever.

As to being picked up, it needs to be her idea. Not all cats like to be picked up.

Is she spayed, yet?  If not, spaying may soften her behaviors and attitudes.

Please let me know how she does.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.