Cats/Calico gets sick when upset

My 10 year old calico female seems to get sick any time something upsets her, such as not getting enough attention, doors being closed when she wants in a room, or her feedings not being when she wants them.   It is like she wants to punish me for not feeding her or doing what she wants.   At times when there is food in her bowl she wolfs some down, gets worked up and gets sick.

Is this normal behaviour that happens sometimes with Calicos?  She has been doing this for a few years, and is otherwise healthy but no one seems to be able to tell why.

Yes she has been to a vet and there is nothing medically wrong that they saw.

This isn't what I would call normal behaviour for any cat, calico or otherwise. I'm almost wondering if putting large marbles (too large to fit into her mouth) into her food and making her eat around them would slow her down to the point where she wouldn't make herself sick... It's worth a try. My only question for you regarding her diet would be - what type of food do you feed her? Canned, dry, raw? Perhaps a dietary change is in order, some cats simply don't do well with certain types of food.. If she's eating kibble I have a cat the same age that we can't give kibble to because he wolfs it down then vomits it back up almost immediately because he doesn't take the time to chew his food at all. Since we switched his diet over to mainly canned food he really doesn't vomit very often beyond the occasional upset tummy or hairball. If your kitty is eating canned food and doing this perhaps watering it down to a soupy kind of consistency would help to slow her down enough to give her body a chance to accept the food without bringing it back up. As for raw food, perhaps mixing it with a good quality canned food and adding water to it will help.

I suspect that she's perhaps an anxious type of kitty who stresses easily. I don't think that she's trying to punish you, her vomiting sounds more like a way for her to release anxiety. You may want to talk to your vet about putting her temporarily on an anti-anxiety medication since this is a long standing issue without a clear medical cause and see if perhaps she settles down some.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.