Cats/cat

Question
I rescued a stray and got her spayed, come to find out right before surgery she had a litter. only one kitten survived, both her  and baby are fine, but now her milk looks like it is trapped under her skin. I'm pretty sure she's trying to wean or did wean baby. baby is 6-8 wks old

Answer
Hi Terra,

During weaning, it is common for the mammary area to become engorged with milk. This is because the kittens are eating less, but it takes time for the body to recognize this change and start producing less milk. So the usual amount of milk is produced, and rather than being consumed, it builds up. This causes swelling and tenderness. It can be very significant if a mother suddenly loses most of her kittens. Fortunately, it isn't usually harmful, and the body stops producing milk that isn't needed within a couple of days. Extra milk will be reabsorbed by the body.

There isn't anything you need to do for her. I recommend that you continue to allow her and her remaining kitten to work out the weaning. If the kitten is still nursing some, it can help relieve some of the pain and pressure she may be feeling in her mammary area. Cats will usually naturally wean their little ones when the kittens are 8-12 weeks old. This slow weaning process can help prevent such drastic mammary engorgement. But if the baby is fully weaned, just keep an eye on her for about 10 days. She should look and feel better by then.

Sometimes, cats can suffer a mammary infection, and this occurs more commonly during weaning. If you find that any of her nipple areas look purple or deep red, have a crusty or discolored discharge, are hot to the touch or are more swollen than the others, she should see a vet to determine if she has developed mastitis. Antibiotics will be necessary.

Once the kitten has not nursed at all (not once!), mom should stop producing milk. If she is still engorged 2-3 weeks after this, she should see a vet. Extremely rarely, a cat may need an injection to help stop lactation.

Good luck!
Jessica

Cats

Jessica