QUESTION: Hi my cat gave birth 6days ago she is 1 year old, she's only small and is a house cat for the first 4days she was ok but since yesterday she has been panting a lot and not drinking water but she is eating well and feeding well for the kittens she's had 5 kittens she seems abit distressed as we have just moved house, but since we have moved she's been panting a lot like a dog it is quite hot in this house but we have had a fan on her for abit, and also she had discharge this morning but it didn't smell was wondering if you could help me with info of wat I can do but only have limited funds as I'm out of work due to injury

Many thanks jamie

ANSWER: Jamie,

I believe, if I were you, I would bite the bullet and go see a vet.  There are so many things that could be going on, some quite serious and some not so serious. She could have an infection or just be hot.  Anyway, the fact that she is eating well and still feeding the kittens is a good sign,  However, things can degenerate rapidly having given birth less than a week ago.

Please let me know what happens.

Concerned regards... Norm.

QUESTION: Have taken her to the vets and it turned out to be that she had a high temperature and was very stressed from where we just moved we have made her feel more comfy around the kitten and have kept her cool nod th panting has now stopped,
Thank you for your advice it was very helpful

Many thanks jamie

I am so glad you got her to your vet and it turned out to be minor.  Things can and do go very, very wrong at times.  I am so glad this was NOT one of those times. I am sure mama and the kitten will do just fine.

Relieved regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.