Cats/Cat Breed... Birman?

Hello, I have a beautiful cat... I used to describe her as half Himalayan, half Siamese. She has long hair, a black "seal point" face with deep blue eyes, long cream colored fur on her torso, dark brown fur on her legs and paws, and a dark brown bushy tail.

I was trying to identify the breed, and the closest I can come up with is Birman. She looks exactly like that breed, except that in all the websites I've seen, Birmans have white paws and the brown fir doesn't go all the way up their legs.

So do some Birmans have brown paws and brown fir all the way up their legs?

Just curious.

James Schendel

You can see excellent photos of Birmans at:

The identifying feature of these cats is their white "gloves" and white "booties".  Without these, it really is not a Birman. You do get varying amounts of white on the paws, so, it may certainly be possible for a cat out of a Birman litter to have very little white, but they should have white on all four paws.

Beyond this, they should have stocky bodies, silky long fur, ears that are wider than they are tall, a roman nose, and a golden shimmer to their coats no matter what the point color(a.k.a. "golden mist").

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.