Cats/My cat having kittens

When I woke up this morning my outside cat had just had two kittens, you could tell they were just born. Now her belly is still really big and I checked her belly and felt at least one more in there. She had the others at least three and a half hours ago. She had actually been getting in and out of the box she had them in, ate a little, but still no other babies. I was wondering if this was ok or if something might be wrong. I know I should just take her straight to the vet, but I'm currently unemployed so it's hard. I just wondered if there was something I could do to help?
    Thank you

Congratulations on having at least 2 kittens so far.

A feline uterus has 2 horns, each of which can carry kittens.  It is not unusual for a queen to empty one horn of the uterus, wait a some amount of time empty the other horn. The "some amount of time" can be anywhere from an hour or two to 24 to 48 hours between horns!

I have also found that it may seem as if she has more kittens, but may be not, only time will tell.

If she goes more than 48 hours or seems distressed, a trip to the vet may be necessary. If you take her to the vet, make sure the kittens are put somewhere safe and warm. Under no circumstances should the kittens and the new mama travel in the same carrier.  The danger of moving her is she may try to find a new place for the kittens which you may or may not be able to find. So a trip to the vet is a last resort.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.