Cats/FIP

Question
We are looking to buy a pair of abys from a breeder that acknowledges 4 reports of their cats  (over the years) dying of fip at 1 year of age.(in their new homes)  They have sold about 300 cats.  My question is,  Can I ask for a guarantee for a year and a half after purchase, in the event the kitten dies from this dreaded illness?  I have never purchased from a breeder before, but have owned abyssinians and know of their many health issues. Should I be concerned? Do you have a preference of aby breeder in NY tri-state area? Am I worrying needlessly about FIP?  Thank you so much in advance.

Answer
Kimmy,

I am not a vet, but in my not so humble opinion, FIP is a result of weak or stressed immune system. With new kittens it may often be brought on by the kitten being too young when it goes to its new home (we do not let our kittens go before 16 weeks of age, and, in my opinion,  anything younger than 12 weeks of age is at risk). In addition, the first visit to the vet often results in over vaccinating the kitten (one vaccine at a time with boosters and other vaccines being given at 3 week intervals) and restricting the vaccines to what is necessary, i.e. a 3 in 1 + booster against panleukopenia, rhinotracheiotis, and calici, and a rabies shot, if required in your jurisdiction.

As to whom to recommend in New York state, you can e-mail me at auspitzn@yahoo.com and we can discuss it privately.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz