Cats/my cat chi-chi

my wife and I were looking for a cat after our first cat, oreo. passed and we found a woman on-line who wanted to find a home for her orange and white striped male tiger chi-chi. she was in the diplomatic corp and had gotten chi-chi as a kitten in south korea. we were wondering what breed of asian cat he is, since he is built like a minature cheeta, with a lithe body and a small (ish) head. He is very affectionate and very vocal. even when he has been fed. he gets lots of attention yet he will sometimes wander the house mewling which sounds more like a yowling or a low moan. he has been neutered and is an indoor cat. he does not scratch or bite and we wondered if his vocalizing is part of his breed personality or something else. what breed is he and is he related to siamese? thank you for your time

A picture would be most helpful.  However, cats native to that part of the world tend to be quite lithe and supple and not very large. This is normally the Siamese (Oriental) type (See: ) or the Burmese or foreign shorthair type (See: ).

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.