Cats/Cat Food

Question
I have two normal house cats. I used to feed them Science Diet Sensitive Stomach, because of a concern for them having an adverse reaction to other cat food. It turned out they were allergic to shots that they received from the vet. I kept them on it anyway, they seemed fine with it.

Then I had to switch to Iams, for cats ages 1+, for financial reasons. I have been getting them proactive health "indoor weight and hairball care". They don't really have issues with hairballs but one cat is overweight. The other cat is not overweight.

Family recently gave me a bag of Science Diet "Indoor: Age Defying" for "Senior: 11+" cats. Their cats are 14+ years old and recently had to switch food types, so family gave me that that Science Diet.

Is it okay for my cats, who are only 6 years old, to eat cat food intended for cats 11+ years old?

Thanks!

Answer
Marty,

I see no reason why your cats can't go ahead and eat the Senior 11+ food on a short term basis. I realize that financial times are tough for many people in today's economy and every little bit helps, so as long as it isn't a full time part of their diet it won't hurt them. If you find that they need a little more of that food to satisfy their hunger go ahead because the senior foods tend to be higher in fibre and lower in fat and protein.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

Ali

Cats

Ali