Cats/Cat behavior.

I adopted a 3 month old siamese cat about 2 weeks ago. Her first night with me seems to be her adaptation period. She always hide from us and bring her self in places where we can hardly get her. As she stays with us, she learn to love us, play with us and have bond with us. After 1st week, she was really good and sweet to us. She plays alot, she climb my lap and purr whenever she climbed my lap. At this point i can say she has already adapted her new home and her master.

Sad thing, I left my cat to a friend for one week because of my work outside our country. No choice, she has to be placed in a cage during daytime, but she has a chance to get out of the cage at night.  My friend who took care of her is really a cat lover, so i am very confident my friend can really took care of my cat.

Just this moment, I arrive home and take again my cat from my friend. I was amazed, she was big and fat compared to when i leave her. My problem is this, her sweetness to me is gone, and her activity is very scary. She runs so fast. She jump high in things like table, cabinet, etc. i think she became hyper active. What shall i do? Is this a normal behavior for a cat? By the way, may cat name is Karush, she is a siamese cat.

Like people, some cats suffer from separation anxiety and abandonment issues.

Usually, once she is back home, she should readjust within a couple of weeks.

Siamese are very high energy cats with a penchant for high places.

Also, it will be important for her to get back on a normal diet as Siamese cats are usually fairly lean and slinky.

When cats are relocated from place to place, they need an adjustment period as cats tend to be very, very much tied to their home territories.

Please let me know how Karush is doing.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.