Cats/Cat lost for 4 weeks - found but hiding from us.

Question
We lost our cat nearly a month ago. He is a very social, lovely Maine coon 14 myths old. Indoor - outdoor.
Tonight someone responded to an ad that I placed. They thought he had come to their house over the past 3 days ... They had left food out after seeing him earlier in the week. They managed to get a photo of him and I think it is him. I came right away - apparently missing him by 30 seconds. Of course he did not come to me when I called him and I hung around for 1/2 hour but no luck but it was dark and at the forest edge so I couldn't search much. I left his carrier w blanket and treats there so he would smell me and maybe relax a bit and continue to come. I have looked into it and see that a humane trap would be a good stress free way to catch him but how do I handle it after that? Will he be crazy defensive and scared when I bring him home? I have 2 girls that miss him terribly (6&8) and will want to assume their relationship with him... how long should we expect to give him to settle in? Do I keep him indoors for a period of time? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Answer
Marlene,

Is your cat neutered?  If not, neutering usually helps settle down pangs of wanderlust.

How long have you had your cat?

Yes, I would use a humane trap.  When you get him home, put him in one area with a litter pan and food dishes and give him time to readjust to your household. Most cats do not abreact to getting back home!!!!!

Usually, they are pretty glad to get back to their home territory.  I find outdoor cast can run into 3 problems: predators, automobiles, and people. Outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats just do not seem to have the longevity of an indoor only cat. (An average life span of 3-5 years vs, an average life span of 12- 15 years.) Usually within a week, he should be back to his old self.

He may cry to go outside, but you will have to be diligent so that neither you nor any family member accidently let him out!!!!!!

Please let me know how you make out trying to catch him.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz