Cats/Cat, Mucousy breathing after surgery

Today at 2 o'clock my four, 8 month old kittens got fixed. I brought them all home and followed the vets advice to let them in their cage. Everything was ok the first 5 hours however soon after the medicines wore off one of the cats started crying non stop to get out. After over an hour I let her out and noticed she gargles when she breaths, or it sounds like she needs to clear her throut. None of the other kittens are doing this, and she is the only one who cried for an hour as loud as she could. Is this gargling/mucous sound due to a breathing tube irritation and her crying or should I be worried something else is seriously wrong? She was fine for the first 5 hours. It's pretty much a constant noise, it only stops every now and then for a few seconds.

Remember, I am not a vet, but if it were my kitty, I would be right back to the vet to ascertain what is going on.

This does not sound normal to me and, for your own peace of mind, you may want to find out what the problem is. I wonder if the kitten aspirated something and is reacting.

Please let me know what you find.

Concerned regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.