Cats/Chinese Li Hua?

My husband and I recently became curious about what kind of breed our cat is. We found him as a stray in July of 2010 in suburban Maryland. He looks a lot like a Chinese Li Hua. According to the other sources I've read, there are only 4 of those cats in the U.S. His behavior and temperment match what sources say about the Lihua, and he has the distinctive hair coloring (follicles go from black to yellow to brown). I guess what we're wondering is if you think he IS a Chinese Li Hua, and if yes, what we should do to share that information with others, since he would be an earlier find than the others which were documented in October 2010.

Elizabeth and Jon

Elizabeth & Jon,

It is doubtful it is a Chinese Li-Hua as very few of these cats have been imported into the USA. China is very protective and very controlling of this breed and there are very few people working with it.

I have captured the picture and will send this question and the picture to a friend of mine who has imported one of the few Chinese Li-Hua cats in the USA.

I will forward the response via this forum as a follow up.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.