Cats/ragdolls cat and kittens

hi i was just wondering, whats so good about ragdolls (i mean that in a nice way) because they are very expensive,

- do they require a 'different' diet
- are they prone to any disease or allergies?
- whats there behaviour like?
- whats a range of price they should be like?

I will admit that I do not know the current market price for a pet Ragdoll. Also, pedigreed cat prices tend to be higher on the coasts than in the heartlands in the USA.

We sell our pedigreed cats for $950 for pets, including neutering or spaying.

When you buy from a reputable breeder, you are getting a kitten that has a more predictable personality, is old enough to go to a new home (we sell ours at about 16 weeks), i.e., the kitten has been socialized to people, has had all its shots, and has been exposed to other cat at our house.

Furthermore, many breeders will provide mentoring and advice on your new kitten, post sale.

Pedigree cats eat the same foods as any other cats.

However, given Ragdoll's size, they may require more than smaller cats. As fart as I know, Ragdolls are no more susceptible to disease or ailments than any other cats.

Ragdolls tend to be gentle cats careful not to scratch people. They are good with children, seniors and dogs.They tend to stay close to the floor rather than jump to great heights. They have a good understanding of humans and tent to communicate with us more with purrs than with meows. They tend to have soft. musical voices.Their energy level tends to be moderate. They tend to greet you at the door and follow you around. They seem to stay kittenish all their lives. They love human attention and contact. (The Cat Fanciers' Association Complete Cat Book, ed. by Mordecai Siegal; 2004; Harper Collins Publishers; New York, NY. Pgs. 170-175)

Ragdolls are "semi"-long haired cats, so they will need to be combed out periodically.

You will have to discuss price with individual breeders.  You can check out for breeders near you.

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.