Cats/Why does my Siamese act this way?

Question
Hi, Norman

I have a 5 month old traditional Siamese kitten. She keeps yowling at night when I go to bed. The thing is if I bring her upstairs she just makes too much noise and goes crazy getting into my belongings. I share a room with my sister so I have to keep my kitten downstairs because my sister has to get sleep for school. How do I stop her from yowling? Also my siamese yowls when I go to another room. She could be fast asleep and the next mintue she's up yowling if I'm gone. She also follows me around I want to know why? How much food is a 5 month siamese kitten meant to eat? I feed her dry food only. I did research the breed before I got her I've always wanted one she's really a nice cat. Oh, and she cries when I'm in the front room at a certain late evening until I go to bed then she follows me upstairs I want to know why?

Your advice would be good :) thanks.

Answer
Ash,

Is your Siamese spayed?  If not, she is probably in heat. You can check with your vet, but she is old enough to be spayed.

Like children, kittens need almost all they can eat. She should eat enough so that she continues to gain weight.  She will probably reach her mature size by about 18 months.  Like people, individual cats have different metabolisms, so you just have to watch her size and weight.  Kittens should be a bit chunky, but not fat. If she is not yet spayed, some of her food intake will be taken up by being in season. If she is spayed, you will have to really watch her diet as she can gain weight if she is not fighting those hormones.

Siamese cats are often dog like and will follow you around. They seem to latch on to a person and can be very demanding of attention.

I hope the above is helpful.

BTW, there is no way I know to keep a cat from meowing. The best solution I have been able to think of is ear plugs, especially the kind used for trans-oceanic flights (available from most travel stores).

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz