Cats/Found 4-5 week old kitten

Hi. We found a 4-5 week old kitten. She was all alone outside in the rain at my husbands job so he brought her home. We think she is a girl and we are also guessing on her age. I am just not sure that she is urinating enough. We have had her for 4 days and she has urinated maybe 3 times. She has had diarrhea and she uses the litter box when I put her in it. She also tried to cover up her poop too. So she knows that. But I'm scared that she is not urinating enough. We are giving her KMR formula and we also give her wet food. She doesn't drink much water. The first day we got her she drank a lot of water but not much since then. I have a vet appointment on October 7. I tried stimulating her to urinate but she cries and squirms around. Should I take her to the vet sooner or is this natural at her age? She doesn't seem to be in pain and doesn't cry much. She plays with my dogs and other cat all the time. But I am still worried that she is not urinating enough. Could you please tell me what you think? Thank you b

I think that this baby should probably see a vet sooner rather than later... Diarrhea in a tiny kitten combined with not wanting to urinate much could be a sign of trouble... Dehydration is a very real concern in one so young.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.