Cats/Cat has recently started to smell

My cat has recently started to smell bad and I'm quite worried about her. She's around 16/17 years old, and for the last month or so there has definitely been a bad smell coming from her. She has also lost a fair amount of weight. She has always been slightly over weight and despite years of trying to help her lose it, she has suddenly become the size of a normal cat in a fairly short period of time. She seems happy and content, and is still capable of cleaning herself so it isn't that, but was just wondering if there might be an underlying medical condition

HI Alice,
Sorry to hear about your kitty's problem.  Because I suspect that, at her age, this will most likely be something medical, this
really goes out of my field of expertise.  I would take her to your vet as soon as you can to find out what is going on with her.
Thank you for using All Experts and I am sorry I could not be of more assistance.
Thank you again, and best of luck with your longtime companion.

I can answer questions concerning the care and grooming of cats.

Shop owner with extensive clientele. Have been an all breed professional dog and cat groomer and instructor for over 20 years. Conducted seminars on cat grooming and care along with round table discussions. Have three cats of my own. Keeping in mind that I am not a vet, questions concerning medical or health issues will be answered drawing from my own experience with such things.