I was wondering if you knew any other ways to get matted hair out of a cats fur besides using a matting comb or hair clippers.  I have a long hair cat, and the fur that covers most of his body is very soft and easy to groom.  However the fur that is on his belly is weird, it is very course and curly and gets matted very easily.  I can't keep up with it because it gets matted so fast.  The matting combs don't really work, they don't cut through the hair very easily and they pull and hurt my cat.  I went to the pet store to buy clippers and they told me I would need clippers with a two speed motor to get through those type of matts, and also so it wouldn't overheat so easily. So I was about to buy them until I saw that they are $200.   I've tried scissors, which scare me because I have to get so close to the skin.  It doesn't seem like it should be this hard to take care of this problem but it's turning out that way.  Do you know any alternative methods to getting matted hair out of fur?  I'm sure there are methods I haven't heard of that are safer and easier. I hope I don't sound like an idiot, I guess i'm just afraid of hurting my cat.  any advice would be appreciated, Thank you

Personally I've had great success with the basic set of human clippers sold at Walmart. Don't use scissors as you could accidentally seriously cut your cat.

Hopefully this information helps. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.