Cats/bladder spasms

Question
My 3.5 year old, neutered male cat, Lance, had a urinary tract infection.  He was totally blocked and had to be catherized and stay at the vet for 3 days.  The antibiotic they used was veraflox.  The infection is gone and he is back home.  However, he keeps going in and out of the litter box very often.  Some urine comes out, but very little each time because he is going so much.  I called the vet and she said he is experiencing bladder spasms as a result of the ordeal, and it should go away in a day or two; but it hasn't.  It is painful to watch and very uncomfortable for him I'm sure.  How can I help him get back to normal.  I love him very much; he is my constant companion.  The vet had to look up some bizare medication he is having a pharmacy make tomorrow, Monday.  They don't even have the chemicals on hand and had to order them.  This makes me very apprehensive about using whatever it is; I wonder about sever side effects. He was brought to the vet last monday,2/3, and came home Thursday,2/6. He will not touch the expensive food they made me buy for him, Urinary SO, both can and dry.  Tonight I added a little water to the can food and spoon fed him about a tablespoon's worth. He' drinking some water, but it doesn't appear to be a lot. No luck with the dry food.  He hssn't had a solid bowel movement since I brought him in on the third; probably due to the fact he hasn't eaten any solid food. Please help me get him back to normal; I don't think these vets know how to be honest with you.  He is my constant companion and I love him so very much.  I feel so bad for him.  Thank you so much for your time and for this amazing free site.  I anxiously await your reply. My email is .
Sincerely
Gerald
This was my original question to Ali who couldn't answer it.  Since then I found out today that the medication is Phenoxybenzamine. The most common side effect is low blood pressure, but there are others (easy to find on the net) . It is not ready for pickup yet, but I am apprehensive about using it; would love a natural ingredient alternative if you know one. Getting him to eat that special diet is next to impossible.  I'm thinking about sprinkling just a few flakes of catnip in with the food....what do you think? The only other alternative would be to mix it with his regular food and slowly put more of the new and less of the old.  Thanks.

Answer
Gerald,

I am not a vet, but I might be able to help out a bit.

The first thing you will want to do at home is to use distilled water in your cat's water dish.  It may do as much if not more than all the prescription diets for urinary tract issues. Special diets are worthless if the cat will not eat them.

If I have to change over a cat's food, I mix a little of the new food with his normal diet, just as you suggested in your qiuestion. Gradually reduce the normal diet and keep the new food.Cat's are creature's of habit and sometimes they just do not want anything new! We have used treats to entice them to eat special diet.  We find tuna packed in oil can help flavor the food enough the cat will light into it.

I would give the new medication a chance. UTI's are very traumatic and it may take your cat some weeks to get over all the adverse effects, even with the medication.

If you are in the habit of letting your cat graze (i.e. filling a food bowl with dry food and having available all the time), I would stop the practice and provide measured amounts twice a day. The cats seem to do better, and you can monitor your cat's diet much better.

BTW, there is a really good e-mail list in Yahoo groups called fanciers health.  To subscribe, just send an e-mail to fanciershealth-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

There are a couple of fine cat vets who monitor that list and can often augmnet your vet'e knowledge.

Please let me know how he does.

Concerned regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz