QUESTION: I just brought home my 1 year old neutered cat from my ex-boyfriend's house. I have an 8 year old neutered male cat and a female dog here at my mom's house. I have my 1 year old in my room with all his stuff. Is it normal for him to hide under my bed?

Yes, this is perfectly normal. Changing households is fairly traumatic to a cat, since cats have more affinity with territory than with people.

Usually, if you leave him alone and ignore him until he makes the first move, he should come out from under the bed in time.

Are you going to introduce him to the rest of the household pets?

Best regards... Norm

QUESTION: My 8 year old cat and my dog both met the new cat. The 8 year old cries at the new cat and the new cat doesn't really do anything, just ignores it. The new cat and dog seem to get along by minding their own business. Is it normal for the 8 year old to be crying at the new cat?

I am not sure what you mean by "crying", but if there is not hissing, growling, or "banshee" types of yowls, I would not be worried at all.

Are the cats both neutered or spayed? If not, this may explain what is going on. If things are relatively peaceful, I would not worry about it unless things begin to escalate.

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.