Cats/Is my kitty sick

I have a 3 1/2 yr old male short hair tabby.  We free feed ur cats medi-cal maintenance kibble and salmon flourentine - tiny tin split 4 ways twice a day.  Water is available on each floor. Their treat of choice is temptations cream flavour.  

He's always had soft stools with a touch of diarrhea at the end.  He has stinky breath but always has and never met a kitty that didn't.

Kalvin is a huge thin boy.  I have been weighing him and there is no weight loss.  
He seem thinner to me.   Really the only thing I have noticed is scratching - not excessively.  Just notice it more.
We had the cats on a weight controll since 3 out of the 4 are over weight.

Kalvin eats more than others.  He never misses a meal.  Lol

Does any illness come to mind.   Should I get blood work done.  We have his poop tested every year when he gets his physical and shots.

He's happy and no other changes have been noticed except be appears thinner and scratches a slight bit more.

Thank you in advance for considering a response.

I am not a vet, and I am going to assume your boy is neutered.  There are two thoughts that come to mind:

Is it possible your boy has or has had fleas recently?  If so, he would probably have tapeworm.  There are, now, topical treatments for tapeworm and other internal parasites that you use the same way (but not at the same time) as the topical flea and tick treatments.  You could check with your vet.

Also, it is possible he is having an allergic reaction to his food.  Have you changed what you feed the kitties recently?  Common allergies are to wheat, corn, soy, and gluten. Some cats are allergic to beef. It is a real detective job to figure out a cat's food allergy.

Overall, these are all that come to mind.  However, if you are concerned, a visit to the vet would be a good idea!!!!!!!!

Please let me know what you find.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.