Cats/Outward Pointed Toes Stray Cat

Question
Hi there, a friend of mine has found a stray female tabby cat and taken her in. When she found her she was breathing heavily, but this seems to have abated. I think she is a young adult and one professional has suggested this, whilst another has said she is an old cat. She moves very slowly, is very stiff, is thin around her haunches and has difficulty jumping and moving. Her feet are turned outwards like a ballet dancer. However, her fur seems very fresh and her feet are snowy white, which makes me think that she is a young cat. She doesn't seem to meow, but rather makes a noise like a dolphin. She spends much of her time keeping warm as though she wants to heat her bones through. She also shakes her head, which makes my friend think she has ear mites. I also noticed that it looks as though her eyeballs have retreated into her head, as there is a red space between her eyeballs and the rim of her eyes. My friend has already taken advantage of pro-bono work offered by a local pet charity and a local vet and monies for further vet treatment are seriously limited. I would most appreciate insights into her difficulties and advice as to how we can best care for this cat. Thank you.

Answer
Heather,

I am not a vet, but it sounds to me as if this cat has had serious health issues for some time.  She really does need a veterinary work up to see what is going on with her. Given what you are telling me, she needs veterinary attention sooner rather than later, but without more information from a veterinarian, there is no way to now to what extent treatment might be required.

I understand the financial issues, but I think she will get worse before getting better without some treatment.

Concerned regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz