Cats/stoped using litter box

I have two cats, one male one female. They are in good health and are indoors all the time. One started to poop on the floor, but will use the litter box to pee. Then the other one started to do the same thing. We change the litter box two times a day morning and evening. Changed brand and that didn't help.Otherwise they are good healthy cats. Thanks for any help.

Are they neutered & spayed?  How old are they?

Litter box habits usually change for either medical or behavioral reasons.  The cats may appear to be healthy, but there may be problems which are less obvious.  Once one cat begins to miss, the other will smell what is going on and may follow suit.

Lets look at medical possibilities.  A urinary tract infection (UTI) may be hard to detect without a veterinary examination. Another possibility is that the anal glands on one or another may have been impacted. Once they are expressed the problem often goes away.

Every time a cat has missed the litter box, the area needs to be cleaned up with an enzyme based product specifically for cat stains and cat odors (available at most pet supermarkets).

It is also possible the original issue is long gone, but by changing brands or type of cat litter, the cats are not happy with the change and will tend not to use the litter as much. Another possibility is that the "pecking order" for litter pans has changed and one of the cats is not letting the other one use it. Have you tried a second litter pan a bit away form the original?

Please let me know about some of the above.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.