Cats/My cat abandoned her kittens

After 1 month of giving birth to her kitten, my mother told me to transfer my cat and her kittens at the garage. But soon, my cat always growl at her kitten and refuse to breastfeed them. My question is:
"Is it because I transfer their place that's why my cat growl at her kitten? Or Is it natural to cats?

I am sorry this took so long to get back to you. It depends on how you transferred the kittens.

If you threw away the old bedding, mama would not be sure they were her kittens.  Cats tell about their kittens by smell, so if the kittens were cleaned off when they were transferred, mama might not know who they are. Usually, in time, the pressure from mama's milk would force her to breast feed them.

On the other hand, as the kittens are a month old, they can do just fine on adult food (wet food to begin with, until their teeth can handle dry). Sometimes, we use a good meat baby food (usually beef or turkey) to get them started on wet food. After they start eating the baby food, they can graduate to wet food. You might have to get them to lick some from your finger or a spoon before they are ready to eat from a plate.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards... Norm

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.